Most software applications are run on their own server or servers in order to protect them from unwanted interactions from other applications, with the increased capabilities of modern servers this leaves systems running at a fraction of their capabilities with utilisation of some systems below 10%. Server virtualisation technology allows users to pool computing, storage and other resources across several different hardware platforms so they are used more efficiently, consolidation of numerous operating systems on to the one hardware system.
Some of the benefits of virtualising your environment;
- Increase hardware utilisation and reduce hardware requirements with server consolidation.
- Reduce required datacenter rack space, reduce power and cooling.
- Increase hardware utilisation.
- Decrease operating costs.
- Improve application availability and business continuity independent of hardware and operating systems.
- Improve responsiveness to business needs with instant provisioning and dynamic optimisation of application environments.